Benefits of cardio workouts are fascinating because they all look easy. In this article, we will extensively look at about 7 Benefits of cardio workouts.
Cardio workouts also referred to as Aerobic exercise is a physical activity that increases your heart and breathing rate. It aids in burning most fat and calories from the body. Cardio workouts relax your body’s ability to use oxygen during the workout session.
A person’s cardio ability can vary based on several factors but consistency, duration, and intensity are the most important factors for meeting your fitness goals. The goal of a cardio workout is to get your heart rate up.
There are many different types of cardio workouts and it’s important to find the one that works for you and stick to it. It is necessary to find one you enjoy and like the most if you want to stick to it for the long term. If you do not know which one you like at all, try several different activities to find the ones you enjoy most.
Some of the cardio workouts include
- Power running.
- Brisk walking.
- Jump rope.
- Single leg stand.
- Dancing to music.
- Arm circles.
- Air squats.
- Jogging in place.
- Stationary bike workout.
Before a workout session, a person should spend 5 -10 minutes doing a dynamic warm-up to prepare the muscles for more rigorous exercise. Ensure you cool down properly too after your workout. This is to prevent injuries and maximize the benefits of cardio workouts.
If you are a beginner, you definitely do not want to begin with any intense cardio workout, here are a few beginner workouts to start with.
- Marching in place.
- Single leg stand.
- Dancing to music.
- Arm circles.
- Stationary bike workout for beginners.
- 10-20 minutes of brisk walking.
Length of cardio workouts
It is also necessary to note how long a cardio workout should last for a week. The length of a cardio workout can vary depending on your fitness goals. A beginner could aim for 20-30 minutes, 3 times a week, and an intermediate could aim for 30-60 minutes, 3 – 5 days a week.
Frequency of Cardio workouts
The number of times you perform cardio workouts depends on your fitness level, schedule, and goals. It also varies for everybody.
Benefits of cardio workouts
The Benefits of cardio workouts are quite a lot. Some of these benefits include.
- Cardio workouts aid in weight loss: one of the major Benefits of cardio workouts would be weight loss. Cardio exercise burns calories, which can help you to lose weight. Cardio workouts also help to increase your metabolic rate, which means you burn more calories throughout the day, even when you’re at rest. This makes cardio workouts a very effective way to lose weight, and can also help to reduce body fat and improve body composition.
- Cardio workouts improve your lungs capacity: Cardio workouts increase the amount of oxygen you breathe in and out, which helps to improve the efficiency of your lungs. This can lead to better overall breathing, improved stamina, and a decrease in the risk of respiratory conditions like asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cardio workouts can also help to enhance the function of the diaphragm, the muscle that helps you breathe, which can further enhance your lung health.
- Cardio workout amplifies your energy levels: Regular cardio workouts can improve your body’s ability to use oxygen. This helps to increase your perseverance and energy. Hence, you will have more energy to get through your daily activities and be less likely to feel tired. Cardio workouts can increase the production of endorphins, which are hormones that make you feel happy and energized.
- Cardio workouts can help to regulate your sleep cycle: Regulation of your sleep cycle can lead to more restful sleep and increased energy throughout the day to carry out your daily activities. Regular cardio exercise can also reduce stress levels and improve your mood, which can make you feel more energized and motivated to tackle your daily tasks.
- Cardio workouts improve mental health: Research has shown that Cardio exercise can reduce anxiety and depression, and can even help to improve cognitive function. This has been believed to be due to the release of endorphins and other hormones that improve mood, as well as the increase in blood flow to the brain. Cardio workouts show a link between physical and mental health.
- Cardio workouts can improve memory, attention, and focus: It has been proven that Cardio workouts boost brain function and enhance your memory, attention, and focus. In fact, One study found that just 30 minutes of cardio exercise can boost brain function for up to two hours afterward.
- Cardio workouts can help to reduce the risk of Some diseases: Cardio workouts help to decrease some diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and some cancers. It can also help to improve your overall quality of life, by reducing stress and boosting your mood.
Roles of cardio workouts to the body
Cardio workouts play many vital roles in the body and some of these roles include.
- Cognitive function: One of the roles of a Cardio workout is in the way it affects the brain. Exercise has been shown to increase the levels of certain neurotransmitters, like dopamine and serotonin, that are important for cognitive function. It also increases blood flow to the brain, which can help to deliver more oxygen and nutrients. Also, Cardio workouts are thought to promote neurogenesis (the growth of new brain cells) which can improve cognitive function.
- Enhances Attention: Cardio workout improves attention. This is because exercise has been shown to increase levels of norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter that helps to focus and sustain attention.
- Working Memory: one role of cardio workouts is to improve working memory. This is because exercise has been shown to increase the size of the hippocampus, a region of the brain that’s important for memory.
- Increasing Executive function: Research has shown that cardio workouts can increase levels of BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor), which is a protein that plays a role in executive function. Also, Cardio workouts have been shown to increase the connectivity of brain regions that are important for Executive function.
- Promoting neuroplasticity (the brain’s ability to adapt and change): Research has proven that regular cardio exercise can increase neuroplasticity by increasing the number of connections between neurons. This increased neuroplasticity can have a range of benefits, such as improving learning and memory and helping the brain to adapt to changes.
- Reduces the risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease: One role of Cardio workouts that doubles as Benefits of cardio workout is reducing the risk of Cognitive decline. Studies have shown that regular aerobic exercise can reduce the risk of cognitive decline and dementia in older adults. This is likely due to the increased blood flow and neuroplasticity that result from regular exercise. As discussed earlier, cardio workouts can improve the health of the hippocampus, a region of the brain that is especially vulnerable to Alzheimer’s disease.
Benefits of cardio workouts are tremendous and should encourage everyone to indulge in this activity. The roles they play in a person’s body are also enticing, hence, they should be encouraged.
If you are a beginner, don’t rush it, take your time until you are better to avoid any repercussions.
Drop a comment if you intend to start a cardio workout, soon.