Creating a bedtime routine for adults is one of the best things an adult could do for themselves. A bedtime routine guarantees you improved sleep, it puts your body in a relaxed and rested state.
A bedtime routine is a string of actions that you take every night before going to bed. This can include things like taking a bath, reading a book, writing in a journal, or meditating. Creating and following a healthy, consistent bedtime routine helps to relax your body and mind and prepare you for sleep. It improves the quality of your sleep and makes sure you are well-rested.
Why it’s important to create a bedtime routine.
There are several reasons why you need to establish a bedtime routine and stick to them and here are a few.
- A regular bedtime routine helps to regulate your circadian rhythm, which is your body’s sleep-wake pattern. A consistent routine helps your body to know when it’s time to sleep and when it’s time to wake up.
- A regular bedtime routine helps to reduce stress and anxiety, which can disrupt your sleep. It helps you stay calm and relaxed before bed, letting you put down your worries in a paper/Jotter.
- A regular bedtime routine helps to improve your overall well-being by increasing your sleep quality and helping you to feel more rested during the day.
Benefits of creating a bedtime routine for adults.
Creating a bedtime routine for adults is very necessary and beneficial to your health, mood, sleep, and more. Here are a few benefits outlined for you.
- Establishing a healthy bedtime routine helps reduce stress and anxiety in your body. It relaxes your mind and body to enable you to sleep well.
- A bedtime routine puts you in a good mood just before and after you go to sleep. It even keeps you energized for the next day.
- When your mood is improved, you wake up energized and you end up being highly productive.
- Most importantly, a healthy bedtime routine improves your sleep quality by helping you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up refreshed.
- Surprisingly, a good bedtime routine helps in weight management. It denies you late snack eating and helps reduce calorie intake in your body. Enough sleep can help control hormones that regulate your appetite, which can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Consistent quality sleep has a way of lowering the risk of some chronic diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. “Sleep affects almost every tissue in our bodies. It affects growth and stress hormones, our immune system, appetite, breathing, blood pressure, and cardiovascular health,” says Dr. Michael Twery, a sleep expert at NIH.
Tips for Creating a bedtime routine for adults
When Creating a bedtime routine, you should bear in mind that it needs to calm your mind and body and help you in preparation for sleep. Here are about 15 tips for creating a bedtime routine. However, you do not have to make use of them all. Pick the ones that work for you and stick to them.
- Pick and set a regular sleep and wake-up time and stick to it.
- Engage in a reading routine like reading a book, taking a bath, or performing light stretches before you go to bed.
- Avoid using electronic devices 1 hour to 30 minutes before you go to bed. So the blue rays from these screens don’t interfere with your body’s sleep cycle.
- Create a comfortable environment in your bedroom with no distractions.
- Avoid snacking, large foods, or caffeine before bedtime.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark and cool. Darkness has a way of signaling to your body that it’s time to sleep, and a cool room helps to regulate your body temperature for sleep.
- Avoid exercising just before bedtime. It can increase your body’s temperature and make it uncomfortable for you and bard for your body to fall asleep.
- Journal down any to-do list or worries before you go to bed so you don’t continue thinking about them during bedtime thereby, not allowing you to sleep comfortably.
- Put on comfortable and loose-fitting pajamas to bed to ensure your comfort.
- A soft and conducive mattress is everything for comfort.
- Go to bed with your mind relaxed by performing breathing exercises, listening to calming music, or meditating before bed.
- Avoid alcohol and smoke before bedtime. These two have a way of disrupting your sleep.
- Too much liquid will get you out of bed at night, avoid taking too much liquid 2 hours before bedtime.
- You can take a warm drink before bed. Chamomile tea will do the trick.
- Remember to be consistent with any time you set time, every night and every day.
How long should your bedtime routine last
It is generally recommended that your bedtime routine last between 30-60 minutes. This gives you enough time to prepare for sleep and unwind.
However, you may want to experiment with different time lengths and see what works best for you. Just remember to make sure that you are not rushing it so you can get the best out of your routine. So take your time and relax.
If you suffer from insomnia and these tips above do not work for you, consider seeing a doctor.
Creating a bedtime routine for adults is the smartest thing to do considering everything you have to juggle in a day. A bedtime routine is like your personal time, you get to have time for yourself and also work towards being productive the next day without any form of irritability.
A bedtime routine is awesome and every adult needs it. Remember however that not all the tips already mentioned would work for you, so find out what works and capitalize on that. If you want these routines to work BE CONSISTENT.
Did you find this helpful?
Leave a comment.